Thanks to the generous support from the National Science Foundation, we will provide scholarship awards to selected US-based students attending the WSDM 2022 conference. The scholarships will include financial support for traveling and lodging.
Each awardee will receive a stipend to partially cover the expense to attend the conference.
Awardees are expected to register to the main conference and will have to make their own arrangements for travel and accommodation.
Applicants need to be a full-time student (undergraduate or graduate) at a US-based academic institution. Applicants also need to be a SIGIR, SIGKDD, SIGMOD, or SIGWEB member at the time of applying to this award (to become a member of ACM SIGs, you don’t need to be a member of the ACM — as an example, students can join SIGMOD for $10).
Applicants do not need to have an accepted paper to be eligible. The selection will be made based on the following criteria:
- Students selected to present at the doctoral symposium and WSDM Cup competition will be given priority.
- Students from under-represented groups will be given priority.
- PhD students actively pursuing research and close to degree completion with papers accepted in the main conference or workshops will be given priority.
- Finally, junior PhD students and MS students with papers accepted in the main conference or workshops will be given priority.
To apply for a grant, the student must submit the necessary materials through the website (https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=wsdm22sta) no later than December 15th (11:59pm PST), 2021. Students are encouraged to have the applications sent as soon as possible. Applications arriving after the deadline will not be considered. The notification date is December 20, 2021. Please submit the following materials (in a single PDF file) with your application:
- Student’s full name and email address.
- Name and address of student’s school.
- Advisor’s full name and email address.
- SIG membership data
- A one-page abstract from the student, summarizing a broad view of his/her research with motivation, problem description, approach, and progress; the abstract must be written in English and needs to comply with the two-column ACM proceedings format.
- A 1-2 page CV of the student.
- Optional demographic data for reporting purposes (will not be used for selection):
- Ethnic background
- Application submission: December 15, 11:59pm PST, 2021
- Application notification: December 20, 2021
We are looking forward to receiving your applications! A list of winners will be announced on the main WSDM website.
QuestionsYou may send your questions regarding the travel award application process to K. Selcuk Candan (email@example.com), Huan Liu (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Huiping Cao (email@example.com).