Thanks to the generous support from SIGMOD EC, we will provide scholarship awards to selected students attending the WSDM 2024 conference.
For awardees attending in-person, the grant will cover the cost of registration + some travel expenses. The awards will be competitive in the sense that not every student will receive a Travel Award.
Each awardee will receive a bursary to partially cover the expense to attend the conference in-person. Awardees are expected to register for the main conference using a free-registration code provided with the award notification email and will have to make their own arrangements for travel and accommodation.
Awardees are expected to register for the main conference and will have to make their own arrangements for travel and accommodation.
Applicants need to be a full-time student (undergraduate or graduate). Applicants also need to be a SIGIR, SIGKDD, SIGMOD, or SIGWEB member at the time of applying to this award (to become a member of ACM SIGs, you don’t need to be a member of the ACM — as an example, students can join SIGMOD for $10).
Applicants do not need to have an accepted paper to be eligible. The selection will be made based on the following criteria:
- Students selected to present at the doctoral consortium will be given priority.
- Students from under-represented groups will be given priority.
- PhD students actively pursuing research and close to degree completion with papers accepted in the main conference, demonstrations, tutorials, or workshops will be given priority.
- Finally, junior PhD students and MS students with papers accepted in the main conference or workshops will be given priority.
Please submit the following materials (in a single PDF file) with your application:
- Student’s full name and email address.
- Name and address of student’s school.
- Advisor’s full name and email address.
- SIG membership data
- A one-page abstract from the student, summarizing a broad view of his/her research with motivation, problem description, approach, and progress; the abstract must be written in English and needs to comply with the two-column ACM proceedings format.
- A 1-2 page CV of the student.
- (Optional) demographic data for reporting purposes: Gender, Ethnic background
To apply for a grant, the student must submit the necessary materials through the website.
Travel Award Selection Committee
Jisun An, Indiana University Bloomington
Tyler Derr, Vanderbilt University
Huiping Cao, New Mexico State University